We want to hear from anyone and everyone that knows our contestants. Are you a Co-Worker? Best Friend? Second Cousin? Ex-lover? Or did you have a transcendent experience watching them tell a story at a Slam? Whoever you are we want your most joyful/hilarious/insane/petrifying story! Post it in the comments section for your chance to win one free ticket to our Summer Grand Slam Competition, July 24th at the Painted Bride. Winners will be chosen on July 19th.This contest is now closed but keep reading about our storytellers! See who won here.
Tre’s Life Story:
I was raised in Trenton, NJ after my original home, Krypton, was blown up. After attending private school from K-6, I enrolled in Ewing Public Schools from 7-12. I graduated, attended University of Maryland where I earned a degree in English and a hatred for Duke. After college I taught for 3 years, and have since remained in education working various positions in schools and community organizations. I’m recently married and live with my wife and two cats in Center City.
Tre’s Winning Story: Whoppers (April at L’Etage) (This was a three-way tie that Tre won after the audience tie-breaking choice theme of “Smells”)
Ever notice how old people have a funny smell? Tre certainly has- in fact he has had a lifelong battle with his uncontrollable impulse to hold his breath whenever he encounters it! This struggle came to a head when he, as a resume building senior in high school, volunteered at an assisted living community. We are all grateful that he survived the ordeal!
Storyteller Q and A
1) What was the last thing (contest, competition, etc.) you’ve won? (not counting our StorySlam) I won 2 crappy video games at a Cherry Hill Mall video game contest back in like, 1992.
2) The theme is Show and Tell. What was the silliest/best/coolest object you took to Show and Tell in elementary school? I went to a Lutheran private school from K-6 that didn’t have show-and-tell. If anything, we were all asked to bring in our sins.
3) What is unique about your storytelling style? I think the most unique thing about my storytelling style is probably my sense of humor, which is pretty stream-of-consciousness-like.
4) Why should your Slam opponents be nervous about competing against you? Because, as you can imagine based on my picture, I have Batman on my side.
5) Boring question double header- where do you live (neighborhood or town) and how old are you? I live in Center City and I’m 32 years old.