We want to hear from anyone and everyone that knows our contestants. Are you a Co-Worker? Best Friend? Second Cousin? Ex-lover? Or did you have a transcendent experience watching them tell a story at a Slam? Whoever you are we want your most joyful/hilarious/insane/petrifying story! Post it in the comments section for your chance to win one free ticket to our Summer Grand Slam Competition, July 24th at the Painted Bride. Winners will be chosen on July 19th.This contest is now closed but keep reading about our storytellers! See who won here.
Olga’s Winning StorySlam: Home for the Holidays (January at World Cafe Live)
There’s nothing like the love between a mother and a daughter. Especially when they have a hard time expressing it to each other. In her story, Olga phones her mother after downing a bottle of wine, and the ensuing conversation is as hilarious as it is painful.
Storyteller Q and A
1) What was the last thing (contest, competition, etc.) you’ve won? (not counting our StorySlam) I was 13 years old. I won a live radio commercial announcement promoting a name brand beverage/juice.
2) The theme is Show and Tell. What was the silliest/best/coolest object you took to Show and Tell in elementary school? I can’t remember ever doing a show and tell, it was not customary in Spanish elementary schools.
3) What is unique about your storytelling style? When I tell a story I bring each character to life. I vividly acted out the characters in my stories. I become the character.
4) Why should your Slam opponents be nervous about competing against you? I’m completely uninhibited in expressing passionately every detail. The audience will “feel” my story!
5) Boring question: where do you live (neighborhood or town)? Rittenhouse, Philadelphia.